Herbal Pharmacy – HERB 4204 (60 Hours)
Traditional Herbal Pharmacy
This course provides students with the theory and training needed to run a Tradional Chinese Herbal Pharmacy. Students will learn to order and keep inventory of herbs, identify quality of herbs, organize the pharmcy for efficient presciption filling, maintain proper storage or herbs, as well as learning proper cleaning protocols associated with keeping an herbal pharmacy. Lecture time will also be devoted to the laws and regulatons associated with running an herbal pharmacy. Furthermore,issues concerning customer service and ethics when serving patients will be discussed. Students will also continue to familiarize themselve with more than 400 basic herbs during this process.
- Food handling and safety laws and regulations.
- Laws and regulations governing Traditional Chinese Herbal Pharmacies.
- Accessing herb quality.
- Maintain herbs in appropriate conditions.
- Maintain sufficient inventory records.
- Verification of clear and complete prescriptions.
- Maintaining clear and complete dispensing records.
- Establishing appropriate protocols in regards to safely, cleaning, and customer/patient management.
Modern Herbal Pharmacy
This course provides students with knowledge concerning recent advancements in herbal technologies. Students will learn about the processes and issues associated with the growth, harvest, extraction, and distribution of modern herbal formulations and patents. Identification of quality sources of modern preparations of herbs will be covered. As well, students will learn to properly prescribe, dose, and utilize herbal extract granules in a clinical setting.
- Identifying issues affecting quality of herbs.
- Procuring a quality source of modern herbal preparations.
- Devising appropriate herbal treatment by combining single herb and formulation herbal extract granules.
- Dispensing and compounding of modern herbal preparations.
- Ongoing research, development, and advancements in TCM herbology practice.